Thursday, March 15, 2012

#25 : AAvadalu ~ South Indian Dahi Vada

Kalyan texted " I am coming home " and I replied " come soon , I have a surprise for you ". This was the day before his birthday . I made these yogurt dipped vadas to jump start the birthday celebrations . This was my first time making them and I was very excited. 

Let me tell you a story.I have a "thing" against anything yogurt . I grew up with my grand mom who didn't eat yogurt and I somehow developed the same aversion to it . For us South Indians , curd / yogurt is finale to every meal . Most proudly claim that a meal is never complete without eating yogurt-rice at the end . It is considered heavenly , a perfect nullifier to the spicy food we eat . I remember my parents trying very hard to make me like yogurt . They agreed on a pact that for each bite of yogurt I could get a small cube of chocolate. As much as I liked the offer, It didn't help a bit. After I met Kalyan , he tried talking me into it , but didn't work again. So, it remained a tacit understanding . Kalyan became the chef in charge for yogurt based dishes. As  time passed , I became a litter more tolerant to it . While I still cannot 'like' it, I can cook with it. 

You can now understand how a simple yogurt based dish can bring a moment of surprise and happiness to us . I am also rejoicing the fact that I am half way through this challenge . It was not easy and took a lot more effort than I had expected. Thank you to everyone who took time to read and follow me through. 

Ingredients:
  • 2 cups Curd / Yogurt  
  • 3 small Green Chilli
  • 1-inch piece of Ginger 
  • 2 Springs Cilantro
  • 1/2 tsp Turmeric powder
  • 1 tsp Salt
  • 1 Cup warm water
 For Tempering :
  • 1 tsp Oil 
  • 1/2 tsp  Mustard seeds
  • 1 tsp Urad Dhal
  • 2 Dried Red Chillis
  • 1/8 tsp Asafoetida
  • 1/8 tsp Fenugreek powder
  • 5-6 Curry Leaves
Method:
  1. Prepare garelu / vada as per this recipe . Set aside
  2. Whisk the yogurt and add turmeric powder and salt 
  3. Coarsely grind the green chilli , ginger and cilantro and add it to the yogurt-salt mixture
  4. Add a little bit of water to adjust the consistency of the yogurt if needed
  5. Soak the  garelu / vada in warm water for 1-2 mins and drop them into the yogurt spice mixture
  6. For Tempering - Heat oil , add mustard seeds . Once they begin to splutter add urad dhal , red chilies , curry leaves, asafoetida and fenugreek powder and fry for a minute. Add the tempering to the yogart soaked vadas
  7. Garnish with chopped cilantro
  8. Chill in the refrigerator for 2 hours before serving. Enjoy !

No comments:

Post a Comment