Kalyan texted " I am coming home " and I replied " come soon , I have a surprise for you ". This was the day before his birthday . I made these yogurt dipped vadas to jump start the birthday celebrations . This was my first time making them and I was very excited.
Let me tell you a story.I have a "thing" against anything yogurt . I grew up with my grand mom who didn't eat yogurt and I somehow developed the same aversion to it . For us South Indians , curd / yogurt is finale to every meal . Most proudly claim that a meal is never complete without eating yogurt-rice at the end . It is considered heavenly , a perfect nullifier to the spicy food we eat . I remember my parents trying very hard to make me like yogurt . They agreed on a pact that for each bite of yogurt I could get a small cube of chocolate. As much as I liked the offer, It didn't help a bit. After I met Kalyan , he tried talking me into it , but didn't work again. So, it remained a tacit understanding . Kalyan became the chef in charge for yogurt based dishes. As time passed , I became a litter more tolerant to it . While I still cannot 'like' it, I can cook with it.
You can now understand how a simple yogurt based dish can bring a moment of surprise and happiness to us . I am also rejoicing the fact that I am half way through this challenge . It was not easy and took a lot more effort than I had expected. Thank you to everyone who took time to read and follow me through.
- 2 cups Curd / Yogurt
- 3 small Green Chilli
- 1-inch piece of Ginger
- 2 Springs Cilantro
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric powder
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 Cup warm water
For Tempering :
- 1 tsp Oil
- 1/2 tsp Mustard seeds
- 1 tsp Urad Dhal
- 2 Dried Red Chillis
- 1/8 tsp Asafoetida
- 1/8 tsp Fenugreek powder
- 5-6 Curry Leaves
- Prepare garelu / vada as per this recipe . Set aside
- Whisk the yogurt and add turmeric powder and salt
- Coarsely grind the green chilli , ginger and cilantro and add it to the yogurt-salt mixture
- Add a little bit of water to adjust the consistency of the yogurt if needed
- Soak the garelu / vada in warm water for 1-2 mins and drop them into the yogurt spice mixture
- For Tempering - Heat oil , add mustard seeds . Once they begin to splutter add urad dhal , red chilies , curry leaves, asafoetida and fenugreek powder and fry for a minute. Add the tempering to the yogart soaked vadas
- Garnish with chopped cilantro
- Chill in the refrigerator for 2 hours before serving. Enjoy !