Wednesday, July 18, 2012

#33 : Mamidikaya Pulihora ~ Raw Mango Rice

Mangoes!How much I love them. Be it ripe or raw they steal my heart.They are the reason I look forward to summers. Did I not yet mention my love for jasmine flowers? One day when we buy a home, I'd surely grow those in the backyard. Another summer love

"Mamidikaya Pulihora" is made my adding grated green mangoes to steamed rice and is spiced with green chillies and tempered with seasoned oil and mustard seeds. Adding cashews to this rice mixture gives a nice crunch and balances the sour zing to the green mangoes. I first tasted it when Kalyan made in and fell for it instantly. My love for raw mangoes traces back many years. I also shared a dhal made using them here

Ingredients:
  • 2 Cups Cooked Rice ( hot / just steamed)
  • 2 Cups Grated Raw Mango ( Green Mango )
  • 1 tsp Turmeric powder 
  • 1 Tbs Oil
  • Salt
      For Tempering :
  • 2 Tbs Oil  ( Groundnut/peanut oil preferable )
  • 1 tsp - Mustard seeds
  • 1 tsp - Urad Dhal
  • 1 tsp - Channa Dhal
  • 5-6 Cashews
  • 3-5 Green Chillies -Slit
  • 2 Dried Red Chillis
  • 1/4 tsp - Asafoetida
  • 4-6 Curry Leaves
Method:
  1. In a wide pan mix hot cooked rice, oil and turmeric. Add grated mango and mix to incorporate 
  2. For tempering - Heat oil , add mustard seeds, urad dhal, channa dhal and cashews. Once the dhal begins to brown add red chilles, green chillies, curry leaves and asafoetida and fry for a minute. Add this to the rice-grated mango pulihora. Mix well
  3. Serve immediately after tempering. Makes a wonderful side for a festive meal. We usually make it for Ugadi, the Telugu New Year 

No comments:

Post a Comment