Tuesday, October 2, 2012

#41 : Kakarakaya Kura ~ Bitter Gourd Curry

When I was little I would question- Can any sane person like Kakarakaya / Bitter Gourd ?
This should sum up everything I felt for this vegetable. 

When my mom-in-law was visiting us last year she made a stir fry out of Kakarkaya. I was newly married then and too shy to say a no I agreed to eat it for lunch. To my surprise, I instantly liked it. 

Since then every time I find it fresh at the Indian grocery I pick it up and look forward to cook with it. This recipe below incorporates tamarind and jaggery with the Kakarakaya giving a nice buzz to the bitter vegetable. Quite a medley of beautiful flavors! 
Ingredients
  • 3-4 medium sized Bitter Gourd/Kakarkaya - Chopped into bite sized pieces
  • 1/4 cup Water
  • 3 tsp Grated Jaggery
  • Small lime sized ball of Tamarind - Juice extracted  
  • Salt to taste
For Tempering
  • 1tsp Oil
  • 1 tsp Mustard seeds
  • 1 tsp Cumin seeds
  • 1 tsp Urad Dhal
  • 2 Dry Red Chillies 
  • 7-8 Curry leaves
  • 1/8 tsp Asafoetida
  • 1/4 tsp Fenugreek powder
  • 1 tsp Red Chilli powder
  • 1/2 tsp Turmeric powder
Method:
  1.  Pressure cook kakarakaya pieces in little water for 1-2 whistle. Set aside and let the the steam escape
  2. In a medium pan -Heat oil , add mustard seeds , let them splutter . To it add cumin seeds, urad dhal, red chillies and fry until the urad dhal turns slightly golden. Add curry leaves, asafoetida, fenugreek powder,red chilli powder,turmeric and fry for a minute. Add the steamed kakarakya to it. Add in the tamarind water and jaggery and let it simmer for 10 mins on medium heat. Add adjust water if necessary. Add salt ( The consistency should be a little soupy)
  3. Serve with hot rice

No comments:

Post a Comment