Kalyan and I belong to Andhra Pradesh, a southern state in India that is popular for red chilli farming and for making the spiciest of the pickles. It was a moment of contentment and pride as I stored this pickle away.
- 1/2 Cup fresh Red Chillies
- 1 small lime sized ball of Tamarind
- 1.5 Tbs Salt ( add more if needed later)
- 5 tsp Oil
- 1 tsp Mustard seeds
- 1/4 tsp Asafoetida
- 1/4 tsp Fenugreek powder
- Wash red chillies and pat dry on a kitchen towel. Remove the stems
- In a food processor/blender grind the red chilles, tamrind, salt together to coarse paste ( Do not add any water)
- For tempering-Heat oil, add mustard seed, let them splutter. To it add asafoetida and fenugreek powder and fry for a minute
- Pour the tempering over the ground red chillies. Can we stored away in a glass bottle for up to 2 months
- Serve with steaming hot rice and ghee. Enjoy the spice!
**Remember to wear gloves when you handle the red chilli paste. The sting is very painful!