Monday, December 31, 2012

#50 : Chakra pongali ~ Sweet Pongal

This is the grand finale recipe of this project. I am very thankful to all of you who have patiently followed long. Every time I received an e-mail from a friend or a message about this project, it kept me motivated. Thank you!

When I started with this, I thought 50 recipes was a completely do-able task but very soon I realized it was a bigger challenge than what I expected it to be.  Cooking was the easier part but photographing ( finding the right light/ styling), uploading, writing and sharing the recipes took time and effort. I am glad I followed my heart and stuck with it. It helped me try/learn some very traditional family recipes, which otherwise would have never been possible. It has helped me learn some of my husbands favorite meals from his childhood. It brought back wonderful memories from my own.

I grew up with my grand parents when I was a kid. This recipe of Chakra pongali ~ Sweet Pongal is from my grand mother. When she makes it, it it surely out of the world. Ending this project with this recipe holds a special sentiment in my heart!

Thank you Everyone. This wouldn't have been possible without your encouragement. Happy 2013 !!! I still plan to keep cooking and documenting family recipes here. Every time I cook something interesting I will try to add it to the list. I have a few other projects in list for the coming year and I am super excited. More details and links later.

Ingredients
  • 1/2 Cup Rice
  • 1/4  Cup Yellow moong dal / Pesara Pappu
  • 1 Cups Jaggery- Grated ( adjust to taste )
  • ¼ Cup Cashews and Raisins
  • 4 Tbs Ghee
  • 3-4 Cardamom pods - Pounded to a fine powder
  • 1-1/2 Cups Milk 
  • 1-1/2 + 1/2 Cups Water 
    Method:
    1. Dry roast yellow moong dal / pesara pappu on medium-low flame until golden. Remove and set aside 
    2. Wash rice and roasted moong dal, add water and milk, pressure cook for 3 whistles 
    3. Once the steam escapes the the cooker, remove the lid and lightly mash the mixture
    4. In a heavy sauce pan bring grated jaggery and 1/2 cup water to boil. Let the jaggery melt completely 
    5. Add the jaggery syrup to the dhal-rice mixture. Turn down the heat to medium-low  and simmer for 20mins. The pongal will thicken. Adjust the sweetness if needed by adding more jaggery
    6. Heat ghee in a small skillet and fry cashews and raisins until golden brown and add to the pongal. Add powdered cardamom. Remove from heat
    7. Serve warm :-)

    4 comments:

    1. Yummmmmm I want some...Congrats Lavani great job this year. I tried s bunch of the recipes..next on my list is that heavenly out of the world sambar

      ReplyDelete
    2. Wow...this looks more like prasadam given at ayyappa temple....looking delicious...

      ReplyDelete
    3. Hi,
      these recipes are amazing. Loved them.
      if possible can you provide a pdf?
      so that it can b available for print out. i really would love to have a hard copy of them.
      my email: madanneelapu@hotmail.com
      thank you in advance.

      regards,
      madan.

      ReplyDelete