Thursday, February 16, 2012

#15 : Carrot Halwa ~ Gajar ka halwa

"Carrot Halwa" is a classic Indian dessert . When served warm with a sprinkling of crushed pistachios this halwa ( sweet ) is truly divine . I somehow never found the motivation to learn to make it and so the recipe stayed bookmarked on my laptop for years . 
Last year I took up class in pottery and ceramics at a local arts school . Over the course of six months , I ended up with some glazed clay dessert bowls . I wanted to make something nice to serve in them and then the carrot halwa happened :-) Since then I have made it several times on happy occasions .

Ingredients:
  • 4 Cups Grated Carrots
  • 3 Cups Milk
  • 3/4 Cup Sugar
  • 1.5 Tbs Khoya or Freshly made Paneer (grated)
  • 1 Tbs Ghee / Butter
  • 2 Cardamom pods ( crushed )
  • A few chopped Pistachios 
Method:
  1. Heat the ghee in a wide pan . Add grated carrots and fry for about 5 mins . To it add the milk and bring to a boil . Simmer and cook until the carrots are tender and milk is reduced to half . Keep stirring from time to time 
  2. Add the sugar , crushed cardamom pods and khoya and cook until all milk is absorbed and the carrots come together to a thick mixture 
  3. Serve warm with a sprinkling of chopped pistachios

1 comment:

  1. Looks yummy. I have always wanted to make gajar ka halwa but never got around to looking for the recipe. Now I have the recipe in hand. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete