Tuesday, February 21, 2012

#16 : Senagapindi Pachadi ~ A chutney made of gram flour

I grew up eating this pachadi as an accompaniment with Idlis and Dosas . My grand dad loved it and so it was made very often . I have warm memories of dunking rava dosas with this pachadi before heading out to play . Having never seen it on the menu of the South Indian breakfast restaurants , I always thought of it as something made only by my grand mom . I dont know of how common this pachadi is with other south Indian households , but my mom-in-law also makes it . I was pleasantly surprised when she made it the last time she was visiting and it re-kindled some old memories .

Ingredients:
  • 1 1/2 Cups Besan/Senagapindi/Chickpea flour
  • small lime size ball of Tamarind
  • 3 Cups water ( lukewarm )
  • Salt to taste

For Tempering :
  • 1 tsp Oil 
  • 1/2 tsp Mustard seeds
  • 1 tsp Urad Dhal
  • 1/4 tsp Cumin
  • 5-6 Green Chilli ( finely chopped )
  • 2 Dried Red Chillis
  • 5-6 Curry Leaves
  • 1/8 tsp Asafoetida
  • 1/8 tsp  Fenugreek powder
Method:
  1. Dry roast the Besan/Senagapindi/Chickpea flour for about 10 min on medium- low heat. Keep stirring continuously . Remove from flame when the flour is slightly colored 
  2. Soak the tamarind in 3 cups of lukewarm water for 10 mins . Extract the juice . Filter the water and juice together and set aside
  3. Wisk together the roasted flour and the tamarind juice extract without any lumps . Add water if needed to adjust the consistency . Add salt as required
  4. For tempering - Heat the oil , add the mustard seeds , let them splutter . To it add the urad dhal , cumin seeds , green chillies, red chillies, curry leaves and fry until the urad dhal is slightly brown. Remove from flame and add asafoetida and fenugreek powder. Add this tempering to the ground pachadi 
  5. Serve with Idli or Dosa 

1 comment:

  1. I have never heard of this chutney before. Being a lover of chutneys, I am delighted to add this to my list. Thank you again!

    ReplyDelete